Day 8

Where to begin? This Day promised rain but we barely got wet.  Instead we saw some faint sunny spells in the afternoon section. The day finished with a lost collection tin but by this morning it as found.  We had a wonderful reception for dinner at the Druidstone hotel, where the founder has just died of Pancreatic cancer and been buried on the hill where she has lived for over 50years.  Let’s begin again.
Day 8 saw us position cars and meet up at 10 am at Nolton Haven.  The day was overcast to greet Rosemary, Judith, Joe, Rhodri Alisha and myself as we set off on the short section to Druidstone.  There we had a complementary coffee as we commiserated with them over the loss of Jane Bell, the owner and founder.    She had lived at Druidstone, a spectacularly quirky hotel on the cliff top overlooking St Brides bay.  Her family are encouraging people to sign an online petition to get Pancreatic Cancer discussed in Parliament.  There is a long way to go so please help and encourage your friends to do so.

We then did the short section to Broad Haven and stopped at a small cafe in Little Haven for an early lunch.  Is was only about a third of the distance needed today but was The only place tomrefresh ourselves.  At this point Alisha, Rosemary and Judith decided to leave us to it for the afternoon and have an afternoon off.  We set off in the afternoon at a cracking pace for St Brides and Martins Haven.  Joe and I stopping occasionally to look at the lovely rock exposures. It must have been at one of these stops, or a stop to put on or
take off a rain jacket that I dropped the pancreatic cancer collection tin! The disaster
was that we didnt spot that I had lost it until nearly the end of that afternoons walk when we met Pat and David Rob walKing back to see us from the end at Martins Haven. Rod just doubled back to check the section back to Musselwick but is wasn’t there so this morning before breakfast I dropped Rhodri off in Little haven and Alisha in Musselwick to retrace the path. luckily Rhodri called After 15 minutes to say he had found it tied to a branch, contents intact. How lucky was that. Faith in human nature maintained. Just imagine what Janine might have said?
Joe and Bertie the Scottie dog left us to drive home to Cardiff. Bertie was just as bouncy at the end as he was at the beginning. Unlike his owner and myself who were pretty stiff after our refreshing shandy.
Dinner was back at Druidstone where we were joined by our bird watching companion for the following day, Philip Lambert, a true Welshman on his first visit to Pembrokeshire. They fed us for free as their contribution to our cause. How kind was that? I can thoroughly recommend their cuisine. Excellent.
So tomorrow is a rest day, forecast is good for a fine day on Skomer island.

Sent from my iPad


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s